You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Joy can be elusive. Sometimes it seems like the main focus of the enemy is not to lead us into sin for the sake of sinning, but to influence for the purpose of stealing our joy.
So how do we keep our joy? In his book, “How Shall We Fight for Joy?” John Piper lists 15 strategies to fight for joy.
Let’s pray for strength, pray for resolve, and saturate our hearts and minds with the word of God; determined to keep our joy.
- Realize that authentic joy in God is a gift.
- Realize that joy must be fought for relentlessly.
- Resolve to attack all known sin in your life.
- Learn the secret of gutsy guilt — how to fight like a justified sinner.
- Realize that the battle is primarily a fight to see God for who he is.
- Meditate on the Word of God day and night.
- Pray earnestly and continually for open heart-eyes and an inclination for God.
- Learn to preach to yourself rather than listen to yourself.
- Spend time with God-saturated people who help you see God and fight the fight.
- Be patient in the night of God’s seeming absence.
- Get the rest, exercise, and proper diet that your body was designed by God to have.
- Make a proper use of God’s revelation in nature.
- Read great books about God and biographies of great saints.
- Do the hard and loving thing for the sake of others (witness and mercy).
- Get a global vision for the cause of Christ and pour yourself out for the unreached.